Bjork (___Surrounded) - Acquired !!

Well, it took me long enough to indulge myself but I now finally have the Bjork (___Surrounded) box set ! :o) To hear all of her work in multi-channel is simply stunning. Her voice is now even more stunning with the 5.1 remasters allowing us to hear the nuances that normally get lost in other recordings. It's really hard to describe but it sounds like she really is there, in front of you, belting the songs out. I guess that's helped by the 96KHz/24bit recordings which give added headroom and reinstate many of the frequencies that get lost when mastering for CD @ 44.1KHz/16bit. I also bought her most recent album, "Volta", also in the 5.1 format, so now the collection is complete. My only gripe with "Volta" is the slightly strange and overtly "artistic" nature of the cover. There is an outer folder, whose flaps are kept closed by a flimsy metalised sticker of Bjork in the "chicken outfit". Then, inside, there is a russion doll style arrangement of sleeves and a small booklet. Whilst I appreciate the uniqueness of this, it really doesn't look like something that could stand the test of time. For a while, I thought there might be a purpose to it, like some kind of clever construction, but if there is, i can't figure it out ! Still, the musical contents are typically superb.

Comments

Popular Posts